Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It’s Potty / Party Time!!!

The weekend before my 30th birthday, I decided it was time to explore potty training Jacob. He had shown interest in going potty before, so I had planned the entire weekend focused on him.

We started the weekend off Saturday morning with a ceremonial “throwing of the diapers”. We pitched all his diapers (well…most of them anyway) and unwrapped packages of “big boy” Elmo undies. We went to the potty, and then I set the kitchen timer to remind us every 30 minutes to go potty. Since I didn’t put any clothes on him, he got to run around in the tighty-whiteys all day!

All day that was until around 1:00 in the afternoon. Scott had been hounding me all day, asking if we were going to do anything or go anywhere, or if I was even going to shower and get dressed for the day. I tried to explain that I needed to focus on Jake all weekend and I had planned on staying home all day.

Evidently, what I had planned and what my husband and mother had planned were two completely different things. Apparently my mother had planned a surprise birthday party for me at 2:00 pm and the only way Scott could get me there was to spill the surprise. I was very excited and touched that they would go to that trouble, but I was also worried about taking Jake out in public only hours after starting his training.

We all rushed to get dressed, and went to the party. It was a lovely afternoon, and with all the distractions Jake only had 1 accident! I was so proud!

The next few weeks he did really great. Only an occasional #1 accident…but the #2 thing was much harder to grasp. He would always tell me after he had gone.

All in all it took only 3 weeks to get the entire process down. I’m so very excited that we no longer have to buy diapers, and he feels like such a big boy learning this new skill.

What’s next you ask…teaching him how to blow his nose! Wish us luck!!!

No comments: